Springtime in the Petoskey area is our favorite time of year. Wait, we say that about every season. Springtime in Petoskey is truly a highlight. If we are lucky, downhill skiing and hitting the links on the same day is not out of the question. It's true... skiing, ice skating, snowmobiling, snowshoeing, and all of the winter beauty are coming to end. This year it seems like spring-like weather has arrived early and with the snow melting, we can't help but look forward to all the great activities, events, and programs.
Mid-March brings lots of excuses to get out and enjoy the breaking weather. There are also some great indoor events scheduled as well. This weekend (March 11th-12th) the Northern Michigan Home Show is going on at North Central Michigan College. Show hours are 11-7 on Friday and 9-5 on Saturday. This home show features area builders, home improvement specialist, and contractors. It's a great event to find some inspiration so when you find new home on PetoskeyAreaHomeSearch.com, you will have some great ideas to install a new patio, add a deck, or have some great contacts for a bigger project.
Major Upcoming Events
- March 12th is the 7th annual Brew-Ski Festival at Boyne Highlands. The beer tent is open 12-5 P.M. for those over 21 years of age and the slops are open 9-9 P.M.
- March 12th there is a 6 P.M. beer dinner at Mackinaw Trail Winery in Petoskey. This is their third seasonal dinner, tickets may be purchased from the winery. If you haven't been to the winery, it's defiantly worth checking out.
- March 18th-20th is Krazy Daze at Boyne Highlands. Events and fun for the whole family including face painting, skiing over the pond, live music, and of course skiing or riding.
- March 19th is Mardi Gras at Nub's Nob Ski Area. Another great family event. The Soaker's Cup, skiing & riding, costume contest and of course the Petoskey Steel Drum Band performs live on the deck.
- March 19th the Blissfest Concert Series at Crooked Tree Arts Center in downtown Petoskey. These concerts sometimes fly under the radar, but the level of talent is extraordinary and can sell out easily. Tickets are available as of this post.
The City of Petoskey Department of Parks and Recreation offers awesome programs for kids and adults. Most programs are now available for online registration and there is an in-house registration scheduled for March 23rd from 8A.M.-6P.M..
Soccer (Grades 1-5)
Tee Ball (Coed - Ages 5 & 6)
Tennis (Ages 3 - Adult | Many Sessions and Themes)
Minor League Softball (Girls born in 2006, 2007 or 2008)
Major League Softball (Girls born in 2003, 2004, or 2005)
Sailing Lessons at Crooked Lake Sailors (Ages 9 - Adult)
Sand Dig Volleyball Tournament at the Petoskey State Park (Ages 16 - Adult)
Another terrific area program is the Little Traverse Sailors hosted by the Little Traverse Bay Yacht Club. This learn to sail program is extremely popular and fills up quickly. Registration just recently opened up. Check their website for details.
Beyond organized programs, there is a seemingly unlimited amount of opportunities to get out and have fun in the Petoskey area. The Little Traverse Wheelway, aka the bike path, slowly appears out of nowhere when the snow melts and quickly fills up with joggers, cyclists, and strollers. The Bear River begins to flow at a higher rate due to the snowmelt and paddlers can be found in the whitewater. Yes, there is a white water paddling park right in the middle of town. The Bear River Valley Recreation Area also features additional bike paths and hiking trails. City parks and playgrounds become meeting places for friends and family once again as green starts to replace grey. Grounds crews at the Petoskey area's 20 golf courses are out in full force (time to practice that swing). It's all happening, and hopefully winter has let go until December.
While downtown merchants begin to sweep up their doorsteps and local restaurants prep their outdoor dining area, we can't wait to get out and enjoy the beauty that is northern Michigan. We hope you get out there and enjoy it all too. Get your last ski turns and toast to spring!
Are you ready to call the Petoskey area home? Find your next home here at PetoskeyAreaHomeSearch.com. Sign up for our email list to stay on top of the latest listings so you don't miss the perfect home. Follow us on Facebook as well.
Love living up north,
The PetoskeyAreaHomeSearch.com Team